Thursday, June 28, 2012

Learning and Growing

I've had intentions of doing a post about parenting + marriage for some time....both are roles that my husband and I are deeply committed to, and both require a lot of work. The good thing is that both also offer HUGE rewards, my favorite being the opportunities to learn and grow. As we approach our 5-year wedding anniversary, I'm really proud of the growth we've shared and all of the new things we've learned along the way.


I'm also thankful for all of the chances we have to try again. I know I'm not always the best wife, or the best mom. But I try hard. Really hard. A lot. And so does my husband, and so do our children. And to me, that is THE BEST. 


I've also learned how healthy it is to admit when something isn't working, and to be open to a new approach to MAKE it work. The other day Benjamin was trying so hard to do something all by himself. As I watched him, I remember how much I wanted him to feel that pride and sense of accomplishment. But when it didn't work, I LOVED his attitude about it. Even though he was frustrated, he still managed a smile and said "That's okay!" When convincing others to do something, he's also known to say "Sure you can!" 


I recently came across this article and had an Oprah "Ah-Ha" moment when I came to this part...."This is where I needed a strong dose of my own medicine. I believe that as mothers, we need to kick ideal out the window and come to terms with the life we are living in order to create strategies that actually move us forward… instead of waiting for the perfect conditions to exist." 

So if you're feeling defeated, or less than, or just plain out of sorts, remember that you can work at it. Perfect Happiness is by your own definition. There is beauty in simplicity. Even though I'm still learning how to embrace the changes that are constantly unfolding, I'm making extra certain not to put aside the value of gratitude or overlook new growth opportunities ~ especially when important relationships are involved. 


p.s. I have a few more parenting articles and books to share. They're all either ones I've read and have achieved good results from, or have heard really good things about so if you're interested in ways to improve your parenting skills, be sure to check back!



1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome post! Brandon and I had to have what I would call a State of the Union address the other night. Things just started spiraling and neither of us were being our best self. But we get to do it again, a fresh start, and we get to learn from our mistakes.

    I was frustrated because it was taking forever for the kids to nap yesterday...and finally I just decided to enjoy the one on one time with Kenley because eventually she would get tired. I was mad for even getting upset about something so small, but glad that it worked out. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete