- 1 1/2 lbs. (6 cups) elbow macaroni. (we like to mix 3 cups of small noodles with 3 cups of large noodles)
- 1/2 lb. (2 cups) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb. (2 cups) grated fontina cheese
- 8 Tbl. (1 stick) butter
- 4 Tbl. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (we just toast a couple pieces of bread and then tear up into little pieces)
- 3 Tbl. grated parmesan
- 2 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil
Preheat over to 350. Cook pasta as directed, strain and place in buttered 3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cheddar an fontina cheeses on top, reserving 1/2 cup of each. Stir lightly with fork.
Sauce- in saucepan over med. heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Slowly add milk and salt, whisking to prevent lumps. Add sauce to macaroni, reserving 1/2 cup. Mix egg with leftover sauce and pour over macaroni.
Sprinkle macaroni with remaining cheeses. Combine bread crumbs, parmesan and olive oil in a small bowl and spread on top. Place on foil lined baking sheet on middle shelf and bake for 25 min.